Thursday 14 June 2012

#1, I Might be Home Late


I Might be Home Late
Her name is Skyler and she is one day going to change the world, mark my words. The love she gets is never from home or from family. It’s from her friends at school. People who have never talked to her know all about her even if everything they think isn’t entirely true. She gets love from her boyfriend of that week, but of course it isn’t the true love or love from a family. She hasn’t ever experienced the feeling of being loved by someone and she still has a heart full of love that she gives out to everyone she cares for.

The description of what I see her is a little different than what the kids at high school see. Perfectly portioned hair that sits right below her shoulders, it’s brown. A cheerleader with a great sense of fashion. Has a different boyfriend every single week and every girl that ever sees her or hears about her wishes they had her life. They think she has all of this, because she is filthy rich with a flirty attitude. They are wrong. They only look skin deep, however when you actually get to know her and believe in her, you would be surprised how different she really is.
We were in Socials and just receiving our test back, we weren’t even half way through the first semester. She wasn’t nervous but she wasn’t happy either. I was given back an A marked test. Skyler received a D. She didn’t get unhappy, she knew it was coming. She barely even glanced away from her phone. Class ended and the test was left on the desk. Socials was the last class of the day. She left the school after having a talk with the squad. She was planning on making a last minute cheer practice, since she is the captain. Except a lot of the girls had plans for the day and couldn’t. Skyler was forced to go home, to the empty house. She walked in and called her best friend Peyton. She needed a night out. Peyton came and picked her up; they headed to Tric, the bar. Peyton’s Dad worked out on sea, but he was coming home the next day. She wasn’t planning on drinking too much, Skyler was. Skyler ended up going home with a college boy, leaving Peyton going home alone. Peyton was used to being alone since her mother died when she was in gr.6, and she easily left to go home and started drawing. Peyton’s boyfriend Eric wasn’t the best boyfriend ever. They fought a lot; lately Peyton’s drawings had been angry. Once again, Peyton fell asleep with the pencil in one hand and her sketcher in the other.

Skyler’s birthday was the only thing everyone was talking about. Everyone knew that it didn’t matter who came, it was open door along with open beer. The day went by fast, class was just more buzz about the party. It was a Thursday and the party started at 8; all the girls went home as fast as they could to get ready and the guys got in groups to arrive. Peyton and Skyler just awaited the house, Skyler had already begun drinking when we all arrived. Some were outside, some were inside. This party was crazy. There were rarely anybody who was not drunk or at least tipsy. Peyton was outside with me. When we glanced through the window, we saw Skyler being grabbed by some 25 year old, who decided to crash “Skyler Davis’s” party. We looked at each other and back at the window, I got up and ran to her. I did get her back, but he or I didn't leave completely unharmed. Everyone left by the time of 3am. The house cleaner cleaned up. While Skyler and I sat outside by her pool. She told me she had to check her mail and that I should go. We walked around her house to the fence and I hopped in my car, leaving her opening the mailbox. She reached in expecting a couple hundred dollars from her Mum, like every birthday. Though only retrieving an empty hand. Victoria forgot her birthday! Skyler went inside slowly, and headed into the liquor cupboard. The rest of the night was hazy.

The next day at school, everyone looked like crap! And there was still buzz about the party and what happened. I was a little worried about Skyler, not that she couldn’t look after herself. Though she never came to school that day, Peyton and I decided to visit her at her house. We both had a key, so we walked in and searched. Skyler was not there, though there was a note saying “don’t worry, just out” in jagged letters. Peyton went home to make dinner for her Father and I went home to my Mum too.

Friday passed, Saturday passed, Sunday passed and school was back on. Peyton and I decided to give Skyler space, but she still wasn’t back at school. I couldn’t take it anymore! I had to find Skyler, and make it all better. I missed her, more than I should have. I left school, no one knew I did, but I guess they would find out in 2nd period. It was hard to try to forget about Skyler not being there with all the crazy hum of her absence. I got in the comet and drove to her house. I went in, door still locked from when I locked it last. I searched the house, to find a letter saying “don’t worry, just out” in the same jagged letters. This made me worried, she hadn’t been home. I probably should have gotten help, but I thought it was better if I did it alone. I went to Tric, maybe she was sulking there. Not there. I went to the Lake Court, only Greg and Jared were there to pick up on some basketball during lunch. They asked questions, I did my best to avoid them. I searched till 5pm and besides the fact of my friend being in my need,  I needed to respect my Mum and show for dinner. She knew something was up, but I tried to dodge her questions too, but it didn’t work to well. By 8pm, I wanted to go out and search some more. However she wasn't going to let me leave without an answer. I finally gave in and she got super concerned. I told her to trust me and that I might be home late.

The search continued, though I didn’t think there was a place left to look. Then it clicked! Drew from Skylers party. I suddenly got a bad feeling in my stomach. Drew is not a guy to be trusted; I got in the Comet and hurried to his house. I knew him from my Uncle Dan, he got his car fixed from him. The lights were off, except for the basement. I knocked, and no answer. I looked in the basement window and I saw Skyler sitting on the edge of the bed, staring blank. It ranked of alcohol. After trying to open the front door, I headed to the back. It was open. The door squeaked and I cursed under my breath. There was a metal cane by the door,  I grabbed it just in case. I swiftly headed down the stairs, slowly.  The door was shut and locked, but it unlocked from my side. I clicked the lock, and stepped in the room. There was one bed, with white covers, and the walls were red. Among that, all was empty.

I ran to Skyler, she looked totally hung over. I told her we had to get out of there, all she answered with was “You’re always saving me.” Her eyes shut and she passed out. I heard the front door slam and there were footsteps already heading down the stairs. I had no time. I turned towards the door, to see his blood shot eyes. I might be home late.

No comments:

Post a Comment